Why do we like to gossip? Is it a reflection of our weakness, frustration or jealousy? How to avoid gossip and making trouble because of gossip?
I admit I have also said bad things about someone. Sometimes, when a person has done something wrong towards us and since we do not have the courage to tell them straight, what we do is we unconsciously revenge by pointing out some bad things and tell it to other people to make us feel better than the other person who has done wrong to us. Or worst is, we make up things to ruin their reputation or we are critical of their actions.
Here are the reasons I think why people gossip:
- We feel inferior or we lack confidence that’s why want to feel that we are better than others.
- We envy others so we make unjust judgements on their actions.
- We want to take revenge of what others have done to us.
How to avoid gossip and making trouble because of gossip? I got this list from the sermon by a pastor this morning.
- Get the facts straight.
- Let us handle gossip appropriately.
- Never surmise evil.
- And, most importantly, love your neighbours as what 1st Corinthians 13:4-7 tells you to do.
So, let us be careful of what comes out of our mouth because it will not only reflect of who you truly are but will also make you into trouble.